Students studying languages in many countries around the world have a wide variety of talents, combined with needs and problems that they must deal with as they approach the study of English. This article outlines a variety of living situations, the opportunities offered on the Internet, types of situations that require English and some types of interative English second language programs available on the Internet.
What Are Some of the Students’ Daily Circumstances?-
- There are those who live in isolated communities where no English is spoken.
- Others living in large cities work all day and are needed at home with their families in the evening.
- English classes are too expensive for some or maybe they are too far from their home or work.
- Some people spend long hours commuting to work by bus or train. Being able to use that time to study would be of benefit to them.
What’s Out There That Can Help Students to Choose and Enrich Their Lives as They Seek to Listen and Understand English?
The communication systems of the twenty-first century have made our planet seem like a smaller place. There are wonderful films made in many different countries of the world plus chat rooms on the Internet about almost any subject. There are places on the Internet where we can share our ideas, knowledge and concerns with others. It makes us feel like we’re part of something exciting when we can participate. The Internet hosts most of the major languages but English has become the international language of communication – the one most often used. There are even complete English programs for cell phones and mobile devises.
Who Are Some of the People Needing to Speak and Understand English?
- Travelers will want to know how to register at a hotel, how to order in a restaurant and how to follow oral directions to find a place in a city.
- High school and university students need English in order to progress with their education and attend international conferences in other countries where English is the dominant language.
- Many employers hire only those who speak, read and write English. As communication improves, more and more companies are doing business beyond their own borders.
- Large English speaking manufacturing companies in Europe and North America are establishing their factories in other countries where the labor is cheaper.
- Salespeople who travel from country to country need to be fluent in English.
What Types of Programs Are Available for Students?
There are many programs in a variety of settings that would allow an individual to understand and to speak English. Let’s talk about several kinds.
- There are complete interactive programs that allow anyone with a computer to learn English at home. These interactive programs provide sound, graphics, text and tests that allow the student to check on their progress. Students can return to a lesson as often as they like and can progress at their own rate. They also offer the advantage of working with a friend as two people can share one computer.
- Many people have learned to read and write English but don’t speak or understand it. Some programs provide listening, oral answers and text as required, plus tests to guide the student’s progress. The student can hear the content spoken by a native English speaker and see the text at the click of the mouse. He or she can listen and repeat as often as necessary.
As our world becomes a smaller place communication is easier. Although there are many languages used on the Internet, English is the most frequently used as it is essential for business. As each year goes by the services of the Internet become available to more people and the need for English increases.